Saturday, June 17, 2023

Review: How the Murder Crumbles by Debra Sennefelder

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Crooked Lane Books

Release Date
June 20, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Debra Sennefelder whips up cookies and crime in a delicious new cozy series, perfect for fans of Joanne Fluke and Peg Cochran.

Wingate, Connecticut, is famed as one of the top ten shopping destinations in the state, and home to Mallory Monroe’s beloved Cookie Shop—a place where patrons are greeted with the heavenly aroma of freshly baked cookies that are as beautifully decorated as they are insanely delicious.

But things aren’t going so smoothly for Mallory. Her two employees are a disaster in the kitchen, she catches her boyfriend with another woman, and she’s seen having a fierce argument with food blogger Beatrice Wright, who accuses Mallory of stealing her cookie recipe. Then Beatrice turns up dead in her kitchen, flour outlining her body and a bloodied marble rolling pin nearby. Mallory immediately becomes suspect number one, her sales plummet, and she desperately tries to clear her name—but that’s not the only murder the killer is baking up.

Debra Sennefelder has cooked up a perfect recipe—endearing characters, a picture-perfect evocation of small-town life, and a quaint sweets shop. And just when things get a little too comfy, there’s always a murder or two for good measure.

My Review

Mallory Monroe runs the Cookie Shop.  Nothing makes her happier than creating beautiful and delicious cookies.  It is especially helpful for her after finding out her boyfriend was cheating on her.  

Things don’t seem to be getting any better when a food blogger accuses Mallory of using one of her recipes, which she insists was stolen from her.  When the blogger ends up dead, all eyes turn towards Mallory as the number one suspect.  Fearful that it will destroy her business, Mallory sets out to clear her name and find the real killer.

This is the first book in the Cookie Shop Mystery series and it’s off to a very good start.  It took me some time to warm up to the characters, but as I got to know them, I really liked each one.  The best characters to me were Mallory and her BFF Kip.  They make a great sleuthing team.  Of course, I also loved Mallory’s kitty Agatha.  You know I can’t resist a sweet kitty.  I just wish she was featured in the book more.  Maybe next time.

The storyline moved at a steady pace.  There were many potential suspects.  I kept changing my mind who the culprit was.  The author has a great knack for throwing me off the killer’s trail.  

I’m looking forward to reading more in this series.  It has the potential to be a “must read” one for me.  It’s filled with intrigue, fun and interesting characters.  My one big complaint - this book left me craving for cookies!



For reading challenges:

Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Connecticut)
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2023
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from Edelweiss and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fun read, especially for light summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fun and I do enjoy cozy mysteries involving food!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.