Thursday, June 29, 2023

Review: The Funeral Murder by Nancy Lynn Jarvis




About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Release Date
September 12, 2020


Synopsis from Goodreads:

In The Glass House, the first book in the PIP Inc. Mysteries series Pat Pirard, recently downsized Santa Cruz Law Librarian, needed to find a new job in a hurry. She printed business cards announcing she was Private Investigator Pat and crossed her fingers, hoping she could earn enough money working for attorneys as a PI to survive.

Pat’s first investigation went well, so she’s excited when she gets a call from an estate attorney who offers her a second job. The attorney tells Pat his client died at a funeral and he needs help sorting out who is entitled to inherit her estate.

Pat quickly discovers the dead woman’s past is as complicated as her estate. And when an autopsy indicates she had two deadly toxins in her body when she died, Pat’s new case becomes not only complicated, but dangerous.

My Review

Former law librarian, now private investigator, Pat Pirard, is working hard to get her business going.  She’s happy to get a call from an attorney asking for her help in settling a client’s estate.  The client mysteriously died at a funeral leaving behind many possible inheritors.  It’s up to Pat to figure out which ones are entitled to the estate.

When Pat learns the client was murdered, her investigation changes course.  She wonders if one of the possible inheritors could also be a murderer.  Now, her own life is in danger.  She never expected that to happen in her new career.

This is the second book in the PIP Inc. Mystery series and it’s even better than the first one.  It’s a classic mystery with many possible suspects - each one wanting their share of the fortune.  

We get to know more about Pat and the supporting characters.  I like Pat's strength.  She stands up for herself, but still has a vulnerable side.  

There is also a mix of romance thrown in.  Pat and her cop boyfriend are taking things at a slow pace, and it works well as they build their relationship.  

Being the animal lover that I am, I have to mention that Pat has a dog and a cat.  Both played an important part in the book, but I won’t say any more about that as I don’t want to give anything away.  I do enjoy when the pets are part of the story.  

Overall, an exciting entry into this series.  I’m loving the characters and storyline even more than the first book.  The author didn’t miss a beat with this captivating book.




For reading challenges:

Craving for the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2023
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2023


Disclosure:  I borrowed this one from the Kindle Unlimited library .  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


5 comments:

  1. I love a cozy mystery and this book sounds like one I’d like to read. Wonderful review Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently discovered my love of cozy mysteries and this one looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

    Ash @ Essentially Ash
    Bookstagram | Personal Insta | TikTok | Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  3. From law librarian to PI, what a transition. It does sound like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a mystery with a PI and this sounds especially interesting! So glad the 2nd book lived up to the 1st.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.