Friday, June 9, 2023

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - June 9th




This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.





I'm also joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader


This is next on my list.  Hopefully I will start it this weekend.  It's the first in a new cozy mystery series.  The excerpts are from the E-ARC.







First Chapter

"Why was the cookie so angry with the baker?"  Kip Winslow asked the group of five women as they tied their aprons.  He waited a beat.

From Chapter Six on my e-reader... (anything at 56% would have been a spoiler, so I improvised with something safer)

She secured her bike, grabbed her backpack, and then pulled open the door of Heavenly Roast Coffee Cafe.  The name did not lie.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Debra Sennefelder whips up cookies and crime in a delicious new cozy series, perfect for fans of Joanne Fluke and Peg Cochran.

Wingate, Connecticut, is famed as one of the top ten shopping destinations in the state, and home to Mallory Monroe’s beloved Cookie Shop—a place where patrons are greeted with the heavenly aroma of freshly baked cookies that are as beautifully decorated as they are insanely delicious.

But things aren’t going so smoothly for Mallory. Her two employees are a disaster in the kitchen, she catches her boyfriend with another woman, and she’s seen having a fierce argument with food blogger Beatrice Wright, who accuses Mallory of stealing her cookie recipe. Then Beatrice turns up dead in her kitchen, flour outlining her body and a bloodied marble rolling pin nearby. Mallory immediately becomes suspect number one, her sales plummet, and she desperately tries to clear her name—but that’s not the only murder the killer is baking up.

Debra Sennefelder has cooked up a perfect recipe—endearing characters, a picture-perfect evocation of small-town life, and a quaint sweets shop. And just when things get a little too comfy, there’s always a murder or two for good measure.

What do you think?  What are you sharing today?



8 comments:

  1. From the description, How the Murder Crumbles does remind me of what I've heard about the Hannah Swensen books. This one looks interesting too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting with a joke. But not a punch line? Guess I'd have to read on to get it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors on the cover. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the rest of the joke.....
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a fun read, I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a fun read for the summer. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series looks really fun and now I want to know the punchline for the joke in the beginning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.