Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Review: The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

 


About the Book 


Genre
Fiction

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Park Row

Release date
June 6, 2023

Synopsis from Goodreads:

When a relationship expert’s own marriage falls apart, she invites four strangers to Italy for a vacation of healing and second chances in this uplifting new novel from the author of The Messy Lives of Book People.

Ginny Splinter, acclaimed radio host and advice expert, prides herself on knowing what’s best for others. So she’s sure her husband, Adrian, will love the special trip to Italy she’s planned for their thirtieth wedding anniversary. But when Ginny presents the gift to Adrian, he surprises her with his own very different plan—a divorce.

Beside herself with heartache, Ginny impulsively invites four heartbroken listeners to join her in Italy instead while live on air. From hiking the hills of Bologna to riding a gondola in Venice to sharing stories around the dining table of the little Italian hotel, Ginny and her newfound company embark on a vacation of healing.

However, when Adrian starts to rethink their relationship, Ginny must decide whether to commit to her marriage or start afresh, alone. And an unexpected stranger may hold the key to a very different future… Sunny, tender and brimming with charm, The Little Italian Hotel explores marriage, identity and reclaiming the present moment—even if it means leaving the past behind.

My Review

Ginny Splinter makes her living giving advice as a radio host.  Her life is dedicated to helping others and she’s sure she knows what’s best for everyone.  As Ginny and her husband, Adrian, approach their 30th wedding anniversary, Ginny knows the perfect way to celebrate.  A trip to Italy.  She’s sure her husband will love it.  When Adrian has a gift of his own, Ginny is stunned to say the least.  Adrian wants a divorce.  

Unable to get a refund on the trip, Ginny comes up with a new idea.  She will take four of her radio listeners with her to Italy.  She chooses the ones who are heartbroken and suffering from their own troubles.  Five strangers in a very small Italian hotel - all suffering from heartaches is not an easy trip to handle but Ginny is determined to see it through.

There are so many emotions running through this book from marital problems to grief to moving on with life.  Each character is expertly crafted.  Their personalities come to life on each page.  My heart broke for all of them.

The author did a wonderful job of transporting me right to Italy.  I felt I was right there beside Ginny. It’s an emotional look at relationships with a few surprises thrown into the mix.  It’s an engaging tale that will stick with me for a long time.

I haven’t read anything by this author before, but she’s on my radar now.  I’ll be looking for more books by her.


For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2023
NetGalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge 20123
European Reading Challenge 2023 (Italy)


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.







3 comments:

  1. I will look for this one! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fun. Plus Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds wonderful! You can't beat an Italian setting and the sound of the fully developed characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.