Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Review: The Cats That Surfed The Web by Karen Anne Golden



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

Release Date:
December 2013




Katherine Kendall is shocked when she gets a call from an attorney in Erie, Indiana informing her that she is about to inherit a Victorian mansion and millions of dollars. A great aunt she didn’t even know left her everything, but there are conditions. She must move to Erie, live in the Victorian mansion and care for her great aunt’s Abyssinian cat, Abigail. Katherine’s job in New York City isn’t going very well anyway, so why not make the move and perhaps change her life for the better?

Katherine packs up her own three cats, all her belongings and heads toward Indiana. She’s sure she can make this work. Her best friend Colleen makes the trip with her, but things don’t quite turn out as planned when they discover her great aunt’s housekeeper dead in the basement. Colleen is convinced there are ghosts in the house, but Katherine thinks something more sinister is going on. She learns that her great aunt recently changed her will to make Katherine the sole heir. There is certain to be a few angry people looking for their cut of the inheritance, but would they stoop to murder?

This book has it all…it’s a cozy mystery with four lovable cats. What I loved most about this book is that the cats weren’t thrown into the story as an afterthought. They were major players in the story and figuring out “whodunit”. The author obviously knows her cats as she wrote their behaviors perfectly. Although I loved Katherine and her best friend, I loved all four cats even more. I thought of them as the major characters :)

This is a fast-paced story with a couple of twists, although the mystery isn’t a complicated one. It also added a bit of a gothic feel to the story. It’s fun with a cast of lovable characters. There’s even a little romance tossed into the middle. Will I be reading the next one? Of course I will:)



For reading challenges:
2014 Just for Fun Reading Challenge

Disclosure: This book is part of my own collection. All opinions expressed are my own.


8 comments:

  1. I adore the idea that the four cats are main characters in this mystery! It sounds wonderful, Yvonne. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was good. I think there might be 3 in the series so far but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious, how does the title fit with the story? I'm glad she got the cats right; you can tell when an author doesn't know what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of hints about the cats and the computer, but I don't want to give away any spoilers :)

      There were one or two things that I thought were unrealistic about the cats (I chalked it up to poetic license) but overall she really hit the mark with them.

      Delete
  3. This sounds so great! I love the starting over premise as well as the big Victorian House. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stories set in old mansions like this. Plus, the addition of cats? You know I was bound to love it :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.