Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter Tuesdays - September 16th


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where we share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book we are reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?



If you'd like to play along on Teaser Tuesdays, just click the button above.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week I'm reading...



Andy Broussard, chief medical examiner for Orleans Parish, had already been up for several hours, his sleep disturbed by thoughts of the impending annual meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, which this year his office was hosting. As he sat at the kitchen table sipping his third cup of freshly roasted Kenyan Meru, he mentally went over one more time the long list of preparations he'd made for the meeting, concerned that there might be something he'd overlooked. If this had been simply a regional meeting of medical examiners, he might still be asleep. But it was the national gathering of all the forensic disciplines. Criminalistics, Engineering Sciences, Jurisprudence, Odontology, Physical Anthropology, Pathology-Biology, Psychiatry-Behavioral Science, Questioned Documents, and Toxicology - they'd all be there. And its success would largely depond on his efforts.

Perhaps it was the early hour or maybe it was just a sixth sense he'd developed after so many years as ME, but the moment the phone began to ring, he knew that someone was dead.




What do you think? Would you continue reading?

18 comments:

  1. Definitely would continue reading this. I live in the south and am always loking for books that take place here. I'm also into forensice novels and love a good mystery.
    Here is mine - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/16/teaser-tuesdays-81-free-short-story-raker-by-christopher-a-gray-move-over-robocop/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would...at least for a couple more pages to find out who was on the phone!

    trish - my tt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This intro is really good. I would keep reading. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like books set in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is on the other side of the phone!? Was he right? Is someone really dead!? You've got me curious for sure; great teaser :)

    The Space Between Us | Thrity Umrigar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the suspense is building with every word! Loved it...and thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “SAFE KEEPING”

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new one too me, but I like that intro so far --enjoy Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The author did a good job of introducing the main character, giving the setting, and describing the situation. I'd keep reading to find out who's on the phone.
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: Tumbleweeds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ringing phone is a nice hook.

    Mine's at http://suziequint.blogspot.com/2014/09/tuesday-teaseropening-unveiled.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new-to-me author -- that last line would certainly keep me reading. Mine: Books Can Be Deceiving

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I would definitely continue reading - after I read books one through three in the series. ;)

    Here's my Teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading this book at the moment, hope you are enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm intrigued by the last sentence for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds pretty good! It's not my usual genre, but it might be one I would check out! Thanks for sharing!
    My Teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's off to a bit of a slow start but I'd keep on to see if the pace picks up. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, he can tell by the sound of the phone ringing. Usually, I like mysteries which take place in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got this one! So excited to read it! The teaser sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.