Monday, September 22, 2014

Spotlight/Interview: Beneath the Daisies by Jayne-Marie Barker


About the Book

Synopsis from Goodreads:



A gift from the dead? Sophie Harris thinks so until her appointed handyman the delectable Andy unearths skeletons in the garden of her inherited new home. Could a secret murderer lurk in her family tree? Simultaneously the buried victims live on in their own time the 1930s as their story breathes through Elise s diary. The touching love story twists through intrigue and heartfelt sympathy, but can happiness ever be theirs? Delving into family secrets, Sophie finds herself at the mercy of a poisonous pen and her life threatened just how far will they go to keep the truth hidden...? Police efforts do nothing to dent the poison pen s composure, and a plot to murder Sophie begins to take shape. With the truth inches from revelation, Sophie is left clutching at the jaws of death, but will the police arrive in time?

Author Interview

Socrates’ Book Reviews would like to welcome author Jayne-Marie Barker. She is the author of the book “Beneath the Daisies”. She has graciously agreed to be interviewed by us.

Welcome Jayne-Marie and thank you for taking the time to talk with us.

1) What or who is your greatest influence in your writing career?

I don’t think I could name a single person but key influencers would have to be Margaret Atwood, Jane Austen, Nicholas Sparks and of course Agatha Christie. Jane Austen’s work was ahead of its time and has stood the test of time. I’ve always liked Agatha Christie simply because she is the queen of mystery, and Nicholas Sparks because his writing is so fresh and original. Margaret Atwood’s writing marks a turning point in my writing life. The Handmaid’s Tale was one of my study texts for an exam many moons ago. Her originality and individual voice has stayed with me ever since.

From a personal viewpoint, I’ve always liked fiction, both reading it and creating another world on the page. I think this simple enjoyment factor has been the biggest influence of all.

2) Where did you come up with the idea for this book?

It’s the classic buried in the garden idea, but it’s always appealed to me and I wanted to give it a try, with a twist, hence the double time line. The idea came to me a long time ago and I can’t honestly remember when or where.

3) What did it feel like when you learned you would be a published author?

I jumped around the lounge like a five year old, barely able to contain the excitement. A moment in my life that I’ll never forget!

4) How long does it take you to write a book?

Typically about ten months. Most of that time is spent plotting, preparing, and conducting research. It can take me up to a year or just over, if things don’t quite go to plan.

5) What other books have you written?

‘Distant Shadows’ HS ISBN 9781849631761
‘The Dancer’s Ghost’ HS ISBN 9781849633291

They both feature Inspector Allen from ‘Beneath The Daisies’. He has a greater part to play in books 2 and 3.

6) Who are your favorite authors and/or books?

I love to read widely and across all genres. Over the last two or three years I’ve read a lot of Stephen Booth, Ruth Dugdall, Harlan Coben, Elly Griffiths, Alison Bruce, Lynn Shepherd, PD James, Ian Rankin. Most recently I read Henry James, ‘The Turn of the Screw’.

7) Any sneak peeks of future books that we can look forward to?

I’ve already completed my fourth novel, ‘Cornered’. It’s the first in a new series with a brand new cast. At the moment I’m busy plotting the second in the new series. No previews yet, it’s all still secret squirrel at this stage, but I can tell you the new series is set in Norwich (Norfolk) and features a female DI. She’s a brave character in a new job, juggling various family and personal battles whilst wrestling with an almost impossible mystery.

Thank you again for stopping by to chat with us.

3 comments:

  1. Classic buried in the garden tale, well that dos sound cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is new to me, I love the sound of it!

    A lot of her favorite authors are ones I've never read. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.