Thursday, September 25, 2014

Review: New Orleans Requiem by D.J. Donaldson


Genre:
Suspense, Thriller

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Astor + Blue Editions

Release Date:
February 2014 (originally published in 1994)







As the annual meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences gets under way in New Orleans, Chief Medical Examiner Andy Broussard and Kit Franklyn, a psychologist with the ME’s office have their hands full. First, they are in charge of all the plans for the conference, but even more important…a serial killer has chosen this time to begin a series of horrible crimes.

The gruesome crimes leave their victims stabbed, eyelids removed and Scrabble tiles taped to their bodies. Andy and Kit have their work cut out for them, especially when their investigation leads them directly to the forensics conference. As unbelievable as anything they could imagine, one of their own could very well be a psychotic killer. The clock is ticking as they race to find a killer before the killer finds his or her next victim.

This is the fourth book in the Andy Broussard/Kit Franklyn mystery series and the first book I ever read. I can honestly say, it didn’t make one bit of difference that I didn’t read one word of the previous books. This book stood alone for me and I enjoyed picking apart the clues right along with Andy and Kit. Although I didn’t need to read the previous books, I definitely want to. I love the New Orleans scenery and this book really made the reader feel like they were there.

Donaldson’s writing style was a pleasure to read. The book flowed beautifully from page to page. It’s fast-paced, filled to the brim with action and suspense. The story took a few twists and turns and kept you guessing to the end. I know I didn’t guess who the culprit was until it was revealed in the book. Donaldson is an excellent storyteller and I’ve been won over with this book. I want to read more!

On a side note: Quite often throughout the book I wondered why Andy and Kit didn’t use Google to assist them. Then I realized the book was originally written in 1994. It made me realize how spoiled we’ve all become. It didn’t hurt the book at all, it just made me laugh at the change in times.



FTC Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. Re Google, I've had that reaction to a few books and had to check when it was written. :D The times they are a changing.

    My co-blogger Steph has this in her TBR pile, maybe I'll give her a nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Eyelids removed and Scrabble tiles taped to their bodies? Interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I was literally holding my breath because I've got another one in this series coming up and haven't started it yet. So glad you liked it! Now I'm looking forward to reading Louisiana Fever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.