Friday, April 3, 2015

Review: Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet by M.C. Beaton

Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio

Release Date:
December 2012



Agatha Raisin is back and slowly getting used to her retired life in the Cotswolds. She wants romance and excitement. Her neighbor, James Lacey, would be the perfect choice to add happiness to her life. Unfortunately, he doesn’t seem to feel the same way. So, she turns her sights on the new town veterinarian, Paul Bladen.

Agatha isn’t the only one interested in the new vet, though. She notices that many of the town’s women are bringing in their pets for various reasons. Most of them are manufactured excuses to get a chance to meet Dr. Bladen. Agatha, herself, brings her two cats to see the handsome doctor, even though they are perfectly healthy.

Much to everyone’s shock, Dr. Bladen receives an injection meant for a horse. Bladen dies instantly. It’s ruled an accident but Agatha is convinced there is more to this story than meets the eye. With the help of James, they set out to find a killer and discover the doctor had quite a few enemies.

I’m still warming up to Agatha. This is the second book in the series.  Agatha is still a bit cantankerous in my eyes and not very lovable, but she does love her cats. So, she scores a couple of points with me there.  I figure there’s hope for her yet.  She’s not a bad person, just a bit rude and brusque. Some of the comments she blurts out either make me cringe or laugh.

I admit, I do enjoy listening to this series on audio. It’s easy to listen to and makes for a nice companion on my morning and afternoon commute to and from work.



For reading challenges:
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2015
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2015
My Kind of Mystery Reading Challenge 2015

Disclosure: I borrowed this one from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. Yvonne, thanks for your honest review of this audiobook. I hope Agatha will grow on you a bit more in future books. At least she's a cat person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have a hard time warming up to her also but I'm intrigued enough to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agatha takes a lot of warming up too! I've read a few of her books and I've kind of grown fond of her in the way you're fond of a crazy and sometimes obnoxious relative! I have read this but it's been at least 10 years and I remember virtually nothing about it. I'd love to revisit this series!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.