Saturday, May 16, 2015

Review: Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death by M.C. Beaton


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Blackstone Audio Inc.

Release Date:
March 2013



A new mineral water company invades Agatha Raisin’s neighboring village of Ancombe and everyone is angry that it will tap into the village spring. When Agatha stumbles upon the murdered body of the council chairman, who hasn’t yet cast his vote for the water company, she puts herself right into the middle of things. First, she accepts a PR job for the water company and then she starts asking questions. As usual, she sticks her nose where it doesn’t belong making everyone angry.

Still mooning over her former fiance, James Lacey, she has an affair with a much younger man. James isn’t quite as uninterested as he pretends to be. In fact, he decides to conduct his own investigation into the murder. It’s almost a competition between James and Agatha as to who solves the crime first. Honestly, they both act like teenagers most of the time.

The mystery is another light-hearted one and it’s easy to listen to. Once again, I’m more interested in the characters. I still can’t believe Agatha is so smitten with James, but to each his or her own :) What’s starting to get to me is that other characters are making such horrible remarks to Agatha about her age. You’d think she was in her 80’s instead of in her mid-50’s.

The other thing is that she is retired from her public relations job and that’s why she moved to the Cotswolds in the first place. Yet, each book has her being talked back into another PR job. Seems to me like she should have kept ownership of her PR company and just work when she wanted to.

Anyway, yes I’m still listening to them. I can’t seem to turn away so M.C. Beaton must be doing something right.


For reading challenges:
I Love Library Books Reading Challenge 2015

Disclosure: I borrowed this one from the library. All opinions expressed are my own.







3 comments:

  1. I enjoy Beaton's Hamish MacBeth mysteries, but haven't tried Agatha Raisin. That part about ageism would bother me, too.
    There is a link up to the Cloak and Dagger challenge that you can join any time. We'd love to see your reviews there.
    http://eviloverlordthoughts.com/challenges-2015/cloak-dagger-may/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, not sure I like that they're acting like teenagers. That's unpleasant.

    I can see Agatha being talked back into PR work so that would probably work for me. It is odd about the comments on her age though. Still, I'll get book two and see if I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.