Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Review: Coconut Drop Dead by Olivia Matthews

 




About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
Minotaur Books

Release Date
December 26, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

The case in Olivia Matthews's Coconut Drop Dead is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Brooklyn’s annual Caribbean American Heritage Festival is finally here, and Spice Isle Bakery is thrilled to be one of the event’s food vendors. After all, the Murrays have been attending the festival for years. Co-owner Lyndsay Murray hopes their West Indian pastries and finger foods draw people back to the bakery in Little Caribbean. She’s looking forward to having fun, connecting with customers, and celebrating with her family.

The day's festivities are cut short when Camille, lead singer of an up-and-coming reggae band, dies. The police think it may be a tragic accident. But Lyndsay’s cousin Manny was close to Camille, and he believes someone cut her life short. Now Manny needs Lyndsay’s help to make sure a killer faces the music.

My Review

Lyndsay Murray is thrilled when her bakery is accepted as a vendor at the annual Caribbean American Heritage Festival.  With the help of her family, this event is sure to boost sales in her new shop.

Then, tragedy strikes.  The festival turns from happy to sad in a matter of moments.  The lead singer of the band performing at the event mysteriously dies.  At first the police think it’s an accident, but Lyndsay’s cousin knew the singer well and is convinced she has been murdered.  Lyndsay is determined to help her cousin and bring a killer to justice.

This is the third book in the series and it's one of my favorites.  These are characters you can truly grow to love.  I know I do.  This is why it’s so important to start from book #1.  It means so much more when you know about the Murray’s roots and what they are each striving to achieve.  Each character is perfectly crafted and truly comes to life with each page.

The mystery gives us several potential suspects.  I kept changing my mind as to “whodunit”, but one of the people on my list was the culprit.  Lyndsay is a strong character and doesn’t back down from anyone, not even the police.  More often than not, she seems to be one step ahead of them.  

Of course, there’s a potential romance for Lyndsay with the local police detective, but they are taking it slow.  It works well that way.  It leaves me wanting more and that’s a very good thing.

It’s a fast-paced story with so many suspects your head will spin.  The main theme with this series is family.  The love and care for each other shines through the entire book.  These feel like old friends, not characters in a book.  I’m looking forward to another visit with the Murrays very soon.  I’m already missing them.

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read. Great review too.

    Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great series. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.