Thursday, December 28, 2023

Review: Dearly Beloved Departed by Nancy Lynn Jarvis

 



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Good Read Mysteries

Release Date
March 3, 2023


Synopsis from Goodreads:

Pat is hired by attorney Jason Forman to “get some dirt” on his daughter’s fiancé. Before she gets very far in her investigation, the young man is murdered. Did his past catch up with him or is what Pat fears, that there’s a serial shooter going after Christmas Eve grooms, the reason he was killed? Pat and her fiancé, Detective Sergeant Tim Lindsey, are planning a Christmas Eve wedding which means, if she’s right, he’s on the shooter’s hit list.

My Review

Pat Pirard is super busy right now with her upcoming nuptials to Detective Sergeant Tim Lindsey on the horizon.  However, when she’s hired by attorney Jason Forman to get background information on his daughter’s fiancé, she accepts the job.  She didn’t think it would take up too much time to do a little background check.  She never expects to find herself in the middle of a murder mystery.

When Forman’s daughter’s fiancé is murdered, Pat discovers he could be the victim of a serial killer.  The killer seems to be targeting grooms getting married on Christmas Eve.  Pat is beside herself in anxiety - especially because her wedding is scheduled for Christmas Eve.  This makes her fiancé a potential victim as well.  It becomes a personal mission for Pat to find the killer before any other tragedies occur.

This is the fourth book in the series and it’s my favorite by far.  I’ve loved them all but this one really grabbed my heart.  It’s been a total joy to see Pat’s character grow from book one to the current book four.  This is why reading series in order is so important.  Although all mysteries are contained in each book and are solved, the character growth is essential to the story.  It can best be appreciated by reading the entire series.

Pat’s relationships with Tim and all her friends are strong throughout this series.  Their ups and downs shine through each page.  

This feels like a traditional mystery with realistic characters.  It’s a captivating tale that kept me guessing until the end.  The author has a great knack for keeping me at the edge of my seat late into the evening hours.  

I hope there will be more books in this series.  I’m already missing these characters.  



Disclosure:   I borrowed this one from the Kindle Unlimited library.  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your five cat review; I'm so glad you enjoy Pat and Tim and their sidekicks. There will be another book in the series. I expected to have it finshed by now, but I got sidetracked with an anthology titled Santa Cruz Ghost Stories and put it on hold for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving your own sweetheart would add an extra urgency to the matter, it sounds like a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.