Saturday, August 29, 2009

Flashes of Glory by Elisabeth Lee




Genre: Mystery, Chick Lit

In the middle of glitzy Las Vegas, Carlyle “Lyle” Hudson, a wild poker player, is being sought after by a handsome Middle Eastern business man, Ari. He gives her a beautiful ruby ring and gifts her with a Bentley. Unfortunately for Lyle, he also has two very jealous wives who would like nothing more than to rip Lyle’s eyes out of their sockets.

Lyle gets out of Vegas as quickly as she can with her white fox terrier dog, Glory, by her side and returns to her home in San Francisco. Her best friend, Chas, has already rented her place out, but that doesn’t bother Lyle at all. She’s safer at home than in Vegas…or so she thought. When she receives threats from the wives, Lyle realizes she may never be safe again.

Meanwhile, her aunts want her back in her hometown of Kansas. There’s been a murder and they need Lyle’s help to solve it. She returns home, but is followed by Chas, Ari and the two jealous wives. To top it all off, she’s in denial that she’s begun menopause and her aunts give her home remedies that are more harm than good.

Lyle is a 50something woman who gives the younger heroines a run for their money. She’s filled with sass, spark and attitude. Her best friend Chas is a gay man who is right by her side and adds fun moments to the craziness.

It took me awhile to get into this book and learn all about the characters, but once I did, it was a fun, fast-paced mystery with quite a bit of humor thrown in. I wish I had read the first book so I could read what got Lyle to this point, but not reading it didn’t take away from my joy of the book. The storyline was entertaining and kept me on my toes as I tried to figure out whodunit.

For reading challenges:

Amateur Sleuth Reading Challenge
Chick Lit Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. This does sound like a fun book from the way you describe it, Yvonne. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, and it sounds like a fun book. But not fond of the cover, too many colors, and looks..not right

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.