Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Lie by Fredrica Wagman




Genre: Fiction

While sitting on a park bench, Ramona Smollens meets an older, strange man named Solomon Columbus. They share their thoughts and quickly become lovers. It’s not long before Ramona marries this man, escaping the dark secrets of her family life at home. Ramona and Solomon create their own family with a son of their own.

However, Ramona discovers that all is not perfect in her world and she finds herself wondering if she truly loves Solomon. She is not sexually aroused by her husband and fears something is wrong with her, but she is determined never to let him know the truth. She lies about her feelings. Then, she suspects her husband of telling lies of his own. Ramona is convinced he is cheating on her and she vows that no woman will come between them.

This book takes place in the 1950’s with Ramona idolizing Rita Hayworth. It is a cleverly put together story of one woman’s hidden secrets, fantasies and fears. Without giving anything away, the ending really gives you food for thought. I’m still trying to figure it out.

Ms. Wagman’s writing is poetic and flows so that the reader can feel Ramona’s thoughts as if they were happening to the reader. “The Lie” is very different from anything I’ve read. The writing style keeps you engaged in Ramona’s life and makes you keep reading. As a side note, I absolutely love this cover. It’s really lovely.

For reading challenge: A to Z Reading Challenge

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I added it to my WL on paperbackswap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds kind of interesting. Must put that name in the back of my head

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was interesting. I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first, but then I really started to get into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.