Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Gingerbread Bump-off by Livia J. Washburn


Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Publisher:
Obsidian, a division of Penquin Group (USA) Inc.

Format:
Paperback, Trade Size

Release Date:
November 2011

It’s Christmas time in Weatherford, Texas and Phyllis is asked to feature her home as one in the annual Christmas Jingle Bell Tour of Homes. Phyllis is excited but she’s also in the middle of planning a dear friends’ wedding to take place on New Year’s Eve. With the help of her friends, as well as the man in her life, she makes sure her home is up to the holiday standards.

As the tour is almost ready to begin, the head of the tour committee, and a friend of Phyllis’, Georgia Hallerbee is attacked and left unconscious. Since the police can’t rely on Georgia to tell them who knocked her out, Phyllis sets out to discover the truth on her own. After all, she has several years experience solving these difficult cases.

This is the 6th book in the “A Fresh-Baked Mystery” series and the first book I read. I’m usually a stickler to read books in order, but I couldn’t pass up this chance to review this book. The series looks wonderful (and I do have the first five books in my TBR), so I broke my own rule and read it. I’m glad I did.

First, the main character…she’s delightful, a retired teacher who can’t stay away from solving a mystery (the perfect protagonist for a cozy, right?) She owns a huge house and shares it with a few other retired teachers as well as the man in her life, Sam. They are an adorable couple. This is a very down-to-earth type of series that will leave you feeling good all over. The story moves along at a fast-paced and it’s the perfect read for this time of year.





FTC Disclosure: The publisher provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.


And now…would you like a copy of your very own? Obsidian has graciously given me one copy to give away to one lucky person, but you have to head over to Socrates' Cozy Cafe to enter. Just click here to enter and click here to read a fun interview with the author!

2 comments:

  1. I love stories where friends share a big old house - it adds a whole new layer of cozy to the cozy! This sounds like a very pleasant series. I'm adding it to my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yvonne,

    This sounds like a series that I could easily follow and enjoy, but as I like to dip in and out of the series and probably end up by not reading them in any particular order, they need to work well as stand alone stories. If they do, then count me in as a new follower.

    I love some of the cover art on these 'cozy' mysteries, although there are so many authors entering the genre using similar artwork, that it could very easily become too much of a good thing.

    Have a great Sunday.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.