Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Review: Purrder She Wrote by Cate Conte



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Minotaur Books

Release Date:
July 31, 2018







Synopsis from Goodreads:

Second in the paws itively charming new feline mystery series set off the New England coast, where curiosity leads to some killer small-town secrets....

It’s the grand opening of Daybreak Island’s cat cafĂ©, where customers can get cozy with an assortment of friendly felines—and maybe even take one or a few home. Co-owner Maddie James is purring with excitement over her new warm-and-fuzzy venture. . .until she becomes entangled in a petty drama between one of her volunteers, an ardent animal-rights activist, and a wealthy woman who insists on adopting a calico kitty—right this instant. The catfight that ensues is bad enough for business. But when the snubbed socialite is found dead with a tell-tale catnip toy on the scene, suspicion lands squarely on Maddie’s staffer. Now, with her reputation and her career prospects on the line (to say nothing of her budding romance with a handsome pet groomer) Maddie must do whatever ittakes to solve the crime—before her nine lives are up.

My Review

Things are going well for Maddie James with her new cat cafe. She and her business partner are really making things work. Of course they have a little help from Maddie’s grandfather and a few devoted volunteers. The goal is to give people a chance to grab a cup of coffee, a pastry and adopt a cat. Or, at least, play with one. The cat cafe has many too choose from.

When a wealthy woman demands to adopt a cat, one of the volunteers gets her back up and refuses. It seems this woman has a past that is not conducive to adopting a cat and this volunteer definitely will not allow it. They fight in the middle of the cafe. Maddie does her past to defuse the situation, but later things take a terrible turn. The wealthy woman is found dead with a catnip toy stuffed in her mouth. Of course Maddie’s volunteer is the prime suspect.

Maddie’s new business will close very quickly if she can’t solve this crime. She’s sure her volunteer is innocent and she will do everything she can to prove it. Unfortunately, there are many suspects, not to mention some personal issues get in her way. Still, Maddie is determined.

I loved the first book in this series and I love the second one even more. Admittedly, I’m a cat lover so I was excited to see a cozy mystery series based on a cat cafe. The characters are colorful, including Maddie’s own kitty JJ (aka Junkyard Johnny). I would have liked to see JJ more involved in the story, though. There’s, also, some romance with a hint of a triangle involved, too.

The plot is fast-paced and grabs you right into the story. There were quite a few twists and turns along the way. I was totally taken off guard when the killer was revealed. I didn’t see that coming. Well done.

I don’t think it matters if you didn’t read the first book, but it’s always fun to start at the beginning. Fortunately, it’s a new series and this is only the second book, so you don’t have too many to catch up with.

There is so much potential for this series to become one of my “must read” cat mysteries. I’m so looking forward to the next book.




For reading challenges:
The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2018
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2018
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.