Saturday, July 14, 2018

Review: Single Malt Murder by Melinda Mullet



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Alibi

Release Date:
March 21, 2017







Synopsis from Goodreads:

Abigail Logan never expected to inherit a whisky distillery in the Scottish Highlands. But in the first novel of an engaging new series blending fine spirits with chilling mystery, Abi finds that there are secrets lurking in the misty glens that some will go to any lengths to protect . . . even murder.

When Abi inherits her uncle’s quaint and storied single malt distillery, she finds herself immersed in a competitive high-stakes business that elicits deep passions and prejudices. An award-winning photojournalist, Abi has no trouble capturing the perfect shot—but making the perfect shot is another matter.When she starts to receive disturbing, anonymous threats, it’s clear that someone wants her out of the picture. But Abi’s never been one to back down from a fight.

Arriving on the scene with her whisky-loving best friend, Patrick, and an oversized wheaten terrier named Liam, Abi seems to put everyone in the bucolic village on edge—especially her dour but disturbingly attractive head distiller. Acts of sabotage and increasingly personal threats against Abi make it clear that she is not welcome. When one of Abi’s new employees is found floating facedown in a vat of whisky, Abi is determined to use her skills as an investigative journalist to identify the cold-blooded killer and dispense a dram of justice before he strikes again. But distilling truth from lies is tricky, especially when everyone seems to have something to hide.


My Review

Photojournalist Abigail Logan is devastated when her uncle Ben dies. He’s the only family she had left. Now she discovers her uncle left her his whisky distillery. She knows nothing about the whisky business, but she realizes she better learn quickly. Along with her best friend, Patrick, and her faithful dog Liam, they head to the Scottish Highlands to check things out.

Abigail finds herself faced with the task of selling the distillery and there are quite a few buyers in the running. It’s not long before she finds herself the victim of sabatoge. Not to mention she discovers a dead body in the distillery. She can’t help but wonder who is behind all of these horrible events. Even her head distiller is a suspect, regardless of how handsome he might be.

This is the first book in the Whisky Mystery series. I loved every minute of the time I spent in the Scottish Highlands. The plot moved along at a fast pace. The characters are expertly crafted and realistic. I adored Abigail. She’s a strong character that refuses to back down under the most dire of circumstances. It’s especially hard when the only one she can trust is her dog Liam.

The ending totally caught me off guard. I didn’t see it coming at all. I just love when that happens when reading mysteries. I couldn’t put this one down. I can’t wait to read the next one. Great way to start this series!




For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2018
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2018

Disclosure: I borrowed this e-book from the library. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a cozy about a distillery. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the daily deal over at audible last week and I was so excited! I'm so glad to see how much you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.