Sunday, August 24, 2014

Review: For Everything A Season by Sharon Pape


Genre:
Romance, Paranormal, Mystery

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

Release Date:
June 2014



Manhattan history teacher Debra Colby decides to spend her summer break as a counselor at a day camp in the small town of Rachael Crossing, Massachusetts. She never heard of Rachael Crossing before, but she knew it was near Salem and not far from where the 17th century witch trials were held.

With all the rentals in Rachael Crossing already filled, Debra resigns herself to renting a broken down old house that has seen better days. To say the house needed fixing up, is an understatement. Debra doesn’t mind getting it repaired, but she’s not thrilled to hear that the house has a reputation for being haunted. She doesn’t believe in that stuff, but she’s bothered that nobody will even enter her house after she makes it presentable.

Her sister begs her to reconsider her summer plans and tries to convince Debra to come home with her. Debra refuses. At thirty-seven years old, she’s intent on getting away and being on her own. When she meets the handsome Ethan Burke, she knows she has made the right choice and her life takes a major turn for the better.

Ethan and Debra’s romance hits a few snags. It doesn’t help that her house continues to scare people away. Unlike everyone else, Debra is not frightened off so easily. Instead, she tries to do some research to learn the truth about the house, but wonders if she would have been better off not knowing.

This is actually one of the author’s older novels, Ghostfire, which was released in 1983. It has been rewritten with the updated version in For Everything A Season. I bet this book will be a huge success.

The beginning of the book alternates chapters between 1692 and 1982, then most of the story is told in 1982. At the end, it skips ahead to the year 2022. Quite often I get confused when books jump between years, but not with this one. It all flowed beautifully and truly enhanced the story. I was actually a bit disappointed there wasn’t more story for 1692. I didn’t realize how interested I was becoming in the witch trials.

This book reminds me very much of the old gothic romances and mysteries I used to love so much. It mixes spooky, mystery and romance to perfection. There is enough to keep readers on the edge of their seats and guessing until the end. Just enough mystery to make you want to read this with the lights turned on. Readers will not want to stop reading until they get to the last page. It makes you think and leaves you craving for more.

This is definitely an author I will keep reading and I will check out her backlist.




For reading challenges:
Where are you reading? challenge (Massachusetts)

FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I love Gothic romances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds creepy but not overly so and very intriguing. As I said on goodreads, I've added it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a bit of mystery in my reading life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review, Yvonne! This story sounds like a great mix of "spooky, mystery, and romance". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed Pape's recent series so I'll definitely have to pick this one up! I really love Barbara Michaels and this sounds similar. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.