Thursday, February 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday




This week's question:

I recently got new bookshelves for my room, and I’m just loving them. Spent the afternoon putting up my books and sharing it on my blog . One of my friends asked a question and I thought it would be a great BTT question. So from Tina & myself, we’d like to know “How do you arrange your books on your shelves? Is it by author, by genre, or you just put it where it falls on?”

My answer:

I have too many books to store on shelves, unfortunately. My TBR literally is over 10,000 books (yeah, I know it's crazy but it is what it is - LOL) They've taken over my guest room, which is fine since we never have guests anyway :) I've started storing them in Rubbermaid containers. I keep a list of which books are in which boxes (I number the boxes). There's no rhyme or reason as to which books are in which boxes, although I do try to put continuing series in the same box. It helps me to find them when I'm ready to read them.

Someday, I'll try and weed down the number of books I have since I'm pretty sure I won't live long enough to read them all but I hate to part with any book that I haven't read yet. Now, if I can just concentrate on reading, not getting new books or being online so much, maybe I can make a dent in this towering TBR.....Nah, never happen!

How do you store your books?


Thursday-MySpace-Comments
MySpace Comments and Thursday Comments

15 comments:

  1. I hate parting with books too - but I'm determined to part with some of the modern novels I know I won't read again this year.
    My answer here:
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/booking-through-thursday-19209.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! With so many, I would stop everything and READ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a ton of books! You have me beat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10,000 is amazing!
    Mine are all stored on shelves, but then, I have far fewer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I though I had a lot of books with my 500. I guess I have a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do try to keep mine organized on my bookshelf.
    over 10,000 books!!! you are a one woman library :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. ***Passes out due to the sheer ecstacy of 10,000 books.*****

    Storage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, 10,000 is an amazing number of books that need to be read, I am not sure if that is good or bad. I usually only buy 3-4 books at a time and I make myself read them before I purchase any more. I have no space in my home for more than the one shelf we have, and it is messy,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! My reading time has decreased greatly since I started book blogging. But then I don't have that many books on my TBR as you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10,000 books----wowser! I'd have to sleep out in the back yard and just keep the books in the house. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG 10000!!!!!

    I haven't counted but not counting the books waiting to be given away I have probably less than 200. I only keep books if I'll read them again (which with fiction is rare) or are nonfiction books I can refer back to for some reason.

    My answer is here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynda - Parting with unread books just seems so wrong to me, but I know I won't even live long enough to read them all.

    Smilingsal - I've been trying to convince my husband that it's time for me to retire so I can read, but he thinks it's time for me to stop buying books. Different philosophies, I guess. LOL

    I think my TBR increased so much because I had, at one time, been subscribed to many of the Harlequin and Silhouette series books. Depending on the series, that can be anywhere from 4-8 books a month. Then I get caught up in cozy series and other series books where I can't just get the first book, I have to have the entire series (not just Harlequins but mainstream trilogies, etc.)

    I keep track of my books through an Excel spreadsheet, which is why I know exactly how many I have yet to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comment on my BTT post... isn't it funny how the TBR list grows exponentially while the Read list pales in comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shelf my books by author's last name in alphabetical order. For fiction and literature, I single out the ones to be re-read and put them on a different case.

    My TBR has dwindled since I try not to buy unless there is a huge bargain. I leave the books on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.