Friday, January 1, 2021

FIRST BOOK OF 2021-Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56 - January 1st



I'm combining my "First Book" and "Friday" books in one post today. First Book of 2021 is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey








This is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

It's that simple.





I'm also joining in Book Beginnings on Friday. It's hosted by Rose City Reader


Happy New Year!

This is my first book of the year.   The excerpts are all from the E-ARC.


First Chapter

The Secret Stealer

Somewhere in London Friday, April 11, 1958 11:40 p.m.

Threads of steam rose from the warm tarmac.  The alleyway was quiet tonight, the perfect setting for the conveyance of secrets.  The woman in the red headscarf checked over her shoulder.  No one would have followed her, but she had to be sure.

From 56% on my Kindle...

"You're just... I've never seen this side of you.  I'd almost encourage it if it wasn't about to get us fired, or worse."


Synopsis from Goodreads:

The letter was short. A name, a time, a place.

Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder plunges readers into the heart of London, to the secret tunnels that exist far beneath the city streets. There, a mysterious group of detectives recruited for Miss Brickett’s Investigations & Inquiries use their cunning and gadgets to solve crimes that have stumped Scotland Yard.

Late one night in April 1958, a filing assistant for Miss Brickett’s named Michelle White receives a letter warning her that a heinous act is about to occur. She goes to investigate but finds the room empty. At the stroke of midnight, she is murdered by a killer she can’t see—her death the only sign she wasn’t alone. It becomes chillingly clear that the person responsible must also work for Miss Brickett’s, making everyone a suspect.

Almost unwillingly, Marion Lane, a first-year Inquirer-in-training, finds herself being drawn ever deeper into the investigation. When her friend and mentor is framed for the crime, to clear his name she must sort through the hidden alliances at Miss Brickett’s and secrets dating back to WWII. Masterful, clever and deliciously suspenseful, Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder is a fresh take on the Agatha Christie—style locked-room mystery with an exciting new heroine detective at the helm.

 
What do you think?  What are you sharing today?

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy!
    Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one does sound so good and it can fit my reading challenge! I am going to have a look now.

    Happy New Year Yvonne and say hi to those kitties!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! This sounds so good! Enjoy :) Stop by if you get a chance:

    https://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2021/01/my-weekly-bookishness-112021.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also used my First Book for this event. Yours looks very tempting! Here's mine: “PIECE OF MY HEART”

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little teaser you shared is every intriguing. Hope it turns out to be a great first read.
    My First Book

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing this book on several blogs. It sounds so interesting! I hope you love it. Have a wonderful reading year in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great read and I love seeing our bookish selfie! :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks fantastic! A great way to start off this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm looks like a good kind of cozy mystery to begin 2021. Happy New Year Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year and great picture with your first read! I'm really curious about this book so hope it's a great read! Wishing you all the best this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.