Saturday, May 27, 2023

Review: Identity by Nora Roberts

 



About the Book


Genre
Romantic Suspense

Format
E-ARC

Publisher
St. Martin’s Press

Release Date
May 23, 2023

Synopsis from Goodreads:

A new thriller about one man's ice-cold malice, and one woman's fight to reclaim her life.

Former Army brat Morgan Albright has finally planted roots in a friendly neighborhood near Baltimore. Her friend and roommate Nina helps her make the mortgage payments, as does Morgan's job as a bartender. But after she and Nina host their first dinner party—attended by Luke, the flirtatious IT guy who'd been chatting her up at the bar—her carefully built world is shattered. The back door glass is broken, cash and jewelry are missing, her car is gone, and Nina lies dead on the floor.

Soon, a horrific truth emerges: It was Morgan who let the monster in. "Luke” is actually a cold-hearted con artist named Gavin who targets a particular type of woman, steals her assets and identity, and then commits his ultimate goal: murder.

What the FBI tells Morgan is beyond chilling. Nina wasn't his type. Morgan is. Nina was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. And Morgan's nightmare is just beginning. Soon she has no choice but to flee to her mother's home in Vermont. While she struggles to build something new, she meets another man, Miles Jameson. He isn't flashy or flirtatious, and his family business has deep roots in town. But Gavin is still out there hunting new victims, and he hasn't forgotten the one who got away.

My Review

Morgan Albright is finally starting to get her life together.  Growing up, she had been an Army brat.  Never staying in one place very long.  As an adult, she finally made a home for herself in Baltimore.  Life isn’t easy, but things are starting to come together for her.  Then, tragedy strikes and her whole world is turned upside down.

After losing everything she worked so hard for, she heads to her mother’s home in Vermont.  Morgan starts to rebuild her life when she meetings Miles Jameson.  They grow closer and closer with each passing day.  However, Morgan can never be too comfortable knowing a killer is coming after her.

Morgan is a strong, determined heroine.  She takes charge even when she’s secretly scared to death.  Miles is the perfect hero for her.  Their chemistry is off the charts.  The supporting characters are well developed and fit perfectly into Morgan’s life.  I adored the relationship between Morgan, her mother and her grandmother.  Three generations of Nash women holding their own.

This book keeps you on your toes from page one.  The intensity and action is ongoing.  I never felt as if there was a dull moment with this one.  It’s a cross between thriller and romantic suspense, but I’d say it was more suspense than romance. It reminded me quite a bit of the TV show Criminal Minds.

It’s been a long time since I read a Nora Roberts’ book.  I won’t be waiting this long again.  

For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Vermont)
Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2023
NetGalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge 2023


FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed a free Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one too and it definitely had a bit of a Criminal Minds feel. I recommend Obsession if you're looking for another one with that kind of feel though that one's even darker. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.