Thursday, May 4, 2023

Review: Out of Circulation by Miranda James



About the Book


Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Berkley

Release Date
January 19, 2013

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Everyone in Athena, Mississippi, knows Charlie Harris, the librarian with a rescued Maine coon cat named Diesel. He's returned to his hometown to immerse himself in books, but when a feud erupts between the town's richest ladies, the writing on the wall spells murder.

The Ducote sisters are in a tiff with Vera Cassity over the location of this year's library fundraising gala, and Charlie would rather curl up in a corner than get into the fray. It seems everyone—even his housekeeper Azalea—has it in for Vera. And at the gala, she gives them good reason, with a public display of rancor aimed at anyone who gets in her way.

But those bitter words wind up being her last. When Charlie discovers Azalea standing over Vera's dead body, it's up to him—with a little help from Diesel—to clear Azalea's name, and catch a killer before his last chapter is finished.

My Review

Librarian, Charlie Harris, has his hands full when a meeting to plan a fundraiser turns sour.  The town’s wealthiest are fighting and they are getting pretty vicious.  One woman, Vera Cassity, is particularly nasty to everyone she meets, including Charlie and his lovable Main coon cat, Diesel.

The fundraising gala turns into a nightmare when Vera ends up dead.  Charlie’s housekeeper, Azalea, is the prime suspect, but he knows she couldn’t kill anyone.  It’s up to Charlie to figure out who really killed the nasty woman and clear his housekeeper’s good name.

I love this series and, sadly, I’ve been falling behind on reading them.  I’m determined to catch up, though.  This is such a delightful, charming series with wonderful characters.  Charlie and Diesel, of course, are my favorites.  I feel as if Diesel is a real cat who I just want to cuddle.  Diesel doesn’t talk and has no magical powers, but his relationship with Charlie is sweet and so real. 

The storyline is captivating.  There were so many potential suspects and, naturally, I guessed wrong.  I thought I had the case all wrapped up early in the book, but I was totally off base.  It is a total joy for me to watch Charlie unravel the mystery along with Diesel.  

This is book #4 in the series.  The mystery is contained in this one book, but I highly recommend starting this series from the beginning.  It gives the reader a chance to get to know Charlie and his family.  There is quite a bit of character growth with all of them.

For me, reading this one was like visiting old friends.  It gave me all those “warm and fuzzy” feelings.  I’m so ready for the next entry in this series.  I have much catching up to do.

For reading challenges:

The Purrfect Reading Challenge 2023
What An Animal Reading Challenge 2023
The Backlist Reader Challenge 2023
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2023
Literary Escapes Reading Challenge 2023 (Mississippi)


Disclosure:  This one is from my own e-book collection. All opinions expressed are my own.


3 comments:

  1. Looks good. I like not being able to guess who done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the most recent 5 or 6 books in this series and really enjoyed it but somehow never read any of the earlier books. I'm really looking forward to going back and reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got quite a few enjoyable visits with Charlie and Diesel ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.