Thursday, May 18, 2023

Review: Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden by M.C. Beaton




About the Book



Genre
Cozy Mystery

Format
E-Book

Publisher
Minotaur Books

Release Date
June 15, 2000


Synopsis from Goodreads:

There is nothing more depressing for a middle-aged lovelorn woman with bald patches on her head than to find herself in an English seaside resort out of season.

Agatha Raisin, her hair falling out after a run-in with a hairdresser-cum-murderess from a previous investigation, travels to an old-fashioned hotel in order to repair the damage away from the neighbors in her all-too-cozy Cotswolds village.

Unhappy about the slow results and prompted by the elderly residents of the resort, she consults the local witch for help. Agatha purchases a hair tonic (and a love potion, just in case!) and is soon sprouting hairs and capturing the fancy of the village police inspector.

But the quiet town is stunned by the murder of the witch. Which one of the graying guests is capable of such a brutal crime? The brassy yet endearing Agatha won't stop until she finds the culprit--and, of course, a little love, too.

My Review

Life has been difficult for Agatha Raisin, lately.  After an argument with her hairdresser, she is left with bald patches on her head.  She wants nothing more than to get away from her beloved town of Carsely and hide out somewhere.  She finds herself in the small town of Wyckhadden.

She stays at a small resort where several elderly residents live.  They recommend Agatha sees the local witch for a potion to make her hair grow.  Not only does she buy the hair potion, she splurges on a love potion to use on the local police inspector.

Then, tragedy strikes and the witch ends up dead.  Agatha is convinced the killer is one of her fellow hotel guests, but the police also have their suspicions of Agatha herself.  That puts a bit of a damper on her trying to romance the police inspector.  However, Agatha is on the case and plans to discover who committed such a horrible crime.

I always love a good Agatha Raisin mystery.  They are quick, charming reads for me.  It’s been a long time since I read one and I had forgotten how much of a curmudgeon Agatha can be.  She can go from grumpy to lovesick to sad to depressed in a matter of moments. Sometimes I want to hug her, other times I wanted to knock some sense into her.  LOL

The cast of characters ranged from sweet to wacky to downright crazy.  I loved every minute of this one.  I admit that I did guess the killer early on, but I didn’t figure out the whys and hows.  It didn’t ruin my enjoyment of the adventure, though.

This is #9 in the series.  I’m actually up to #26, but I missed this one and went back to it.  It didn’t matter to me, but I do recommend reading this series in order for the most enjoyment.



For reading challenges:

Cloak & Dagger Reading Challenge 2023
The Backlist Reader Challenge 2023
Cruisin’ thru the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023
Craving for the Cozies Reading Challenge 2023


Disclosure:  I borrowed this one from my local library .  I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read and Agatha Raisin never changes in the best of ways! She drives me crazy but I can't help but love her. I've read a few of these but this is a series on my list to tackle chronologically.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.