Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Review: The Coma Monologues by Mario Milosevic


Genre:
Fiction

Format:
Audio

Publisher:
Green Snake Publishing

Release Date:
December 2015








Synopsis from Goodreads...

Gary Hawken-husband, father, civil engineer, and accomplished nerd-enjoys a good life with his family in suburban Toronto. Then a crow distracts him at a traffic signal and a truck slams into his car, knocking him into a coma. Doctors doubt he will ever regain consciousness, but Gary's wife, Melody-English professor and determined mate-undertakes his resurrection by saturating his brain with the voices of storytellers from his past. Old friends, family members, half-forgotten teachers, mythical creatures, dead heroes, and even a few fictional characters stop by Gary's bedside to tell the tales that will tantalize him out of his vegetative state back to the world. Is the universe made of stories? Melody believes we're all nothing but stories and she stakes her husband's life on that ancient promise. Mario Milosevic is the author of Animal Life, The Last Giant, Kyle's War, and Terrastina and Mazolli: a Novel in 99-word Episodes. He lives in the Pacific Northwest with his wife, fellow writer Kim Antieau. mariowrites.com

My Review

This book centers around a comatose patient, Gary Hawkins. His wife is desperate for him to wake up and enlists the help of the people in his life – both past and present. They each visit Gary reminding him of things they shared – some good and some bad. His visitors include his family, friends, even a few famous people – some dead, some alive. They each have a story. We learn about Gary’s life through these stories.

What a unique concept for a book. I listened to this one on audio. At first I thought it was very strange and not at all the type of book I would like. However, as the book continued, I became more engrossed in it. Some of the visitor’s monologues were more interesting than others, but overall, it kept my attention.

Michelle Babb’s narration is always superb. I can sit and listen to her tell stories for hours. This must have been a difficult one to narrate as she had to continually switch to a different character in each chapter. She certainly does her job well. This is a captivating book that will keep readers wondering even after it’s all over.




FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.