Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: Taking Leaps and Finding Ghosts by Janet DeLee

Genre:
Fiction, Paranormal

Format:
E-Book

Publisher:
CreateSpace

Release Date:
May 2015





Synopsis from Goodreads

Dreams aren’t just for the young, and Ginny Lawther is happy to prove that even at the age of fifty-eight she can still brave a leap of faith…she just needs a little prodding from like-minded individuals. Step one: place an ad in the local newspaper inviting other dreamers to form an Ideal Life Club. Step two: see if anyone shows up.

When Ginny meets four hopeful strangers at the first club meeting, she thinks they’re off to a great start.

Now it's only a matter of time before the sixty-something widow Hilda turns her crafting into a full-time career; the twenty-something Jerry becomes a professional musician; and the thirty-something housewife Lydia publishes her cookbook. That is, until the rugged divorcĂ©, Lee, sets a goal to solve his ghost problem—and upends all their lives!

Suddenly the support group isn’t just trying to navigate the ups and downs of pursuing their dreams; they’re also wrestling with a strange cast of spirits who keep interrupting their endeavors. What do these apparitions want? And why have they latched on to the Ideal Lifers?

Haunting, humorous, and hopeful, Taking Leaps and Finding Ghosts sparks the imagination and breathes unexpected life into everyday reality.

My Review

Ginny Lawther is a strong character with a great idea for a new group – the Ideal Life Club. It’s for anyone with a dream and the drive to see it come true.  Her own dream is to be a homeowner.

She advertises her group and gets four members who are ready to fulfill their dreams. What I enjoyed was that each dream is realistic…not some “pie in the sky” desire to win millions of dollars. These are dreams that are very much attainable.  Readers will be able to relate to these everyday people and their individual situations.

Although the members of the group start out as strangers, after only a few weeks they grow close and develop loyalty and support for each other. Their new found friendship is touching.

The group has more than just a dream to work through. There's also the possibility that ghosts are interfering with their success.

It’s a moving, poignant story that touches your heart. I wasn't sure about the ghost aspect of the story, but it really worked in this book.

This is a standalone book, but I can easily see a sequel and I hope there will be one. It’s a great concept and very well written.  Janet DeLee is a “new-to-me” author who I’ll continue to look for.




FTC Disclosure: The author provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for standalone, those are needed too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very unique- and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I love stories of strangers coming together and the Ideal Life Club sounds like a really interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing. I hope to get over here more in the new year. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.