Thursday, August 30, 2018

Review: A Deadly Brew by Lynn Cahoon



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Kensington

Release Date:
September 4, 2018









Synopsis from Goodreads:

As Halloween approaches South Cove, California, four couples get into the spirit of the holiday by conjuring up spirits. . .

The house has sat empty for fifteen years, taking up prime real estate along the picturesque coastline. Built by one of the founders of South Cove, its last known owner, Maryanne Demerit, vanished without a trace. Now her home will be demolished for a condo development, but until then, it’s the perfect spot for a Halloween haunted house.

Jill Gardner, owner of Coffee, Books, and More, her boyfriend, and three other couples are spending the weekend in the Demerit home. But what begins as an all-in-good-fun fright fest turns into a mystery begging to be solved as Jill is contacted by the ghost of Maryanne . . .

My Review

Jill Gardner is taking the weekend off from her bookstore/coffee shop to have a getaway trip with her boyfriend and a group of their friends. It’s almost Halloween, so what would make a better getaway than a local haunted house?  It’s about to be demolished to build condos so this is the perfect time to check it out while they still can.

They quickly learn about the last owner, Maryanne Demerit, who disappeared many years ago. Suddenly, strange things happen and the friends wonder if Maryanne’s ghost is trying to tell them something.

This is one of my favorite cozy mystery series set in the small town of South Cove, California. A Deadly Brew is  #9.5 in the series. It’s a quick read but it gave me a chance to revisit my South Cove friends until book #10 is released.

It’s a bit different than the usual mystery stories in this series. This one has a touch of the paranormal added to it.  It's an intricate story that intertwines the past with the present.

It’s a short novella which isn’t really connected to the rest of the series. It’s a nice way to get an intro into the series, but for me, it was a great way to meet up with old favorite characters and see what’s been happening with them. I read this in one sitting. It went by way too fast. Another novella is coming out soon and I’m looking forward to it.



For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed many books by this author and this sounds like another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, I love Halloween and kitties.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.