Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Review: Our House by Louise Candlish



Genre:
Thriller, Suspense

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Berkley

Release Date:
August 7, 2018







Synopsis from Goodreads:

On a bright January morning in the London suburbs, a family moves into the house they’ve just bought in Trinity Avenue.

Nothing strange about that. Except it is your house. And you didn’t sell it.

When Fiona Lawson comes home to find strangers moving into her house, she's sure there's been a mistake. She and her estranged husband, Bram, have a modern co-parenting arrangement: bird's nest custody, where each parent spends a few nights a week with their two sons at the prized family home to maintain stability for their children. But the system built to protect their family ends up putting them in terrible jeopardy. In a domino effect of crimes and misdemeanors, the nest comes tumbling down.

Now Bram has disappeared and so have Fiona's children. As events spiral well beyond her control, Fiona will discover just how many lies her husband was weaving and how little they truly knew each other. But Bram's not the only one with things to hide, and some secrets are best kept to oneself, safe as houses.

My Review

Life is taking some unexpected turns for Fiona Lawson. She and her husband have split up and she intends to divorce him. He’s hoping to change her mind, but she’s determined that won’t be happening. Instead, she comes up with a plan for a bird’s nest custody arrangement. This way their two young sons get to remain in the family home, but Fiona and her husband will alternate their homes between their family home and an apartment.

Imagine Fiona’s shock when she arrives home, after a trip out of state, to discover their home has been taken over by strangers. They insist they bought the home and it no longer belongs to Fiona and her soon-to-be-ex husband, Bram. Fiona desperately tries to find Bram, but no luck. Fiona begins to realize that things aren’t quite what they seem.

This book is filled with suspense. It grabs you from the start. It’s told in the form of a podcast and a real time narrative with point of views from both Fiona and Bram. It’s fast reading. I couldn’t put it down. I had to know what direction this was all going and how it would end. I was at the edge-of-my-seat.

There were times I wanted to shake both Fiona and Bram. The author does a great job of making you feel a part of it all. At one point I did figure out part of the story, but I had no idea how it was going to end. The ending totally took me by surprise. The author does a wonderful job at storytelling and I’m looking forward to reading more by this author.



For reading challenges:
Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.


4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I just read another review of this book about it being a frustrating read. But now, after reading your thoughts I think I might like it. I guess I'll have to read more reviews on it and then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, I've read a few reviews of this today, and the consensus is that the ending is something else. I'm glad you enjoyed this--I'd like o read it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary concept! I can't imagine how frightening it would be to discover your kids vanished and home no longer yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I didn't get this one which I'm really regretting now! Despite wanting to give Fiona and Bram a good shake this sounds like a great read! I kind of expect to want to do some shaking in this kind of book. There always seems to be secret keeping or miscommunication or just bad decisions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.