Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Review: Midnight Snacks Are Murder by Libby Klein



Genre:
Cozy Mystery

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Kensington

Release Date:
July 31, 2018







Synopsis from Goodreads:

When her sleepwalking aunt is accused of committing murder, Poppy McAllister finds out there's no rest for the weary . . .

Between trying to get her gluten-free baking business off the ground and helping her aunt remodel her old Victorian into the Butterfly House Bed and Breakfast in Cape May, New Jersey, Poppy is ready to call, “Mayday!” And now Aunt Ginny—who's a handful wide-awake—is sleepwalking on her new sleeping pill prescription and helping herself to neighbors’ snacks and knickknacks.

Even more alarming, a local humanitarian who worked with troubled teens is found murdered, and the police suspect the “Snack Bandit.” Other than a bad case of midnight munchies and some mild knickknack kleptomania, Aunt Ginny is harmless. Someone’s trying to frame her. Poppy will need to work tirelessly to uncover the killer and put the case to rest—before Aunt Ginny has to trade in her B & B for a bunk bed behind bars . . .

My Review

Widow Poppy McAllister has her hands full. She’s busy with her gluten-free baking company as well as opening a B&B with her Aunt Ginny. To add to Poppy’s already full plate, her aunt has started sleepwalking and stealing items from her neighbors’ homes. Not to mention having a few snacks at each house and leaving a mess. Things are even more complicated when Poppy's mother-in-law, Georgina, stays at the B&B to supposedly lend a helping hand. Unfortunately, she seems more like a hindrance than anything else.

Then, murder strikes the small Cape May town. A local hero and head of a teen center is murdered.  The only suspect is Aunt Ginny during one of her sleepwalking incidents. Poppy can’t believe her aunt killed anyone, but the police aren’t looking elsewhere.  So, it's up to Poppy to find a killer.

Poppy’s pursuit of the killer takes her and her cohorts on a crazy ride around the small town. The story keeps you guessing with truly LOL moments. Aunt Ginny is a hoot. I loved her and her wacky antics. Poppy has the patience of a saint between Aunt Ginny and a mother-in-law who is on her back every step of the way. Oh, I can’t forget Poppy’s adorable kitty Figaro. Both adorable and feisty. Not to mention Poppy has two handsome men vying for her attention. Like I said, she has her hands full.

The author gives the readers several different motives and suspects for murder. The story keeps your head spinning. I know I didn’t know which direction to go, so I was suspicious of everyone. Of course I was totally wrong and shocked until I realized whodunit. Libby Klein is quickly making a name for herself in the cozy mystery world and she is doing it so very well.



For reading challenges:
Craving for Cozies Reading Challenge 2018

FTC Disclosure: I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. "sleepwalking on her new sleeping pill prescription and helping herself to neighbors’ snacks and knickknacks" LOL! This sounds like a good one, and I like that the author added humor to the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.