Sunday, December 4, 2011

Finishing the Series Reading Challenge




Okay, I wasn't going to be hosting anymore reading challenges (then again I wasn't going to be joining anymore either and that's not happening - LOL), but I broke down and started this one. I searched all over and didn't see one for this yet so I'm going to start it myself.

It's a challenge for all those series books you started at some point and haven't finished. I know I'll start a series and read the first book, then get distracted with other books and never get back to the series. Before I know it, the series has 10 books - I get overwhelmed and don't go back to it. Now, I want to finish a couple.

Here are the rules guidelines.

1) All books that are part of a continuing series qualify (i.e. Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, James Patterson's Alex Cross, etc. etc.)

2) It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 10 books in a series to complete it, it qualifies (i.e. if you only need to read one more Sookie Stackhouse book to complete the goal, that's fine) The goal is to complete a series from wherever you are up to until the last published book.

3) The qualification period is January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012. Books must be read during this time frame to count.

4) Take the button above and post about it. Use the Mr. Linky at my new blog for this challenge. Click here to sign up and go over there now, but make sure you link it directly to your post about this challenge.

5) If you don't have a blog, that's fine. Just leave a comment to sign up and tell us what you are reading.

ADDENDUM: IF YOU WANT TO LINK UP YOUR REVIEWS OR, FOR THOSE WITHOUT A BLOG, LEAVE A COMMENT WITH YOUR REVIEW, GO TO THE FINISHING THE SERIES BLOG, JUST CLICK HERE.

6) Any format of book counts - audio, ebook, etc.

7) You should choose the series you want to finish before the challenge begins, but it isn't necessary. It's fine to change series during the year - as long as you complete whichever series it is.

8) Choose a level....

Level 1 - Complete 1 series.
Level 2 - Complete 2 series.
Level 3 - Complete 3 or more series.

I'm going to bite the bullet and try for Level 2 and complete 2 series.

1) Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove (I need to read 3)
A. 1022 Evergreen Place
B. 1105 Yakima Street
C. 1225 Christmas Tree Lane

2) Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum (I need to read 6)
A. Fearless Fourteen
B. Plum Spooky
C. Finger Lickin' Fifteen
D. Sizzling Sixteen
E. Smokin' Seventeen
F. Explosive Eighteen

34 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I would love to join this challenge. I'm putting it on my list for 2012...which I'll announce sometime this month...Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that someone is taking on this challenge. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am avid reader. I will do level 2. I know a series I want to read and the second is something I might read later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great challenge, Yvonne! This is just what I needed! Thanks for hosting!

    According to my list, it looks like I will need to do this challenge for the next couple of years, LOL! And my list is just going to get longer because there are a ton of new series that I intend on starting in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to join your challenge! I have never done this in a formal fashion. I choose Level 2 and I'll be finishing Macomber and Evanovich series. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect challenge for me, I have most of the books just keep putting them off.

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this challenge. I am behind on a lot of series but am going to start with Stephanie Plum in January!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm behind on a lot of series as well, so I signed up for level 3. I'll be posting the series I want to finish over Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to see this challenge on A Novel Challenge! I already had planned to start catching up on series next year. I think this will be a fun way to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for doing this challenge again. I finished aboujt 5 series this year. I want to do level 3 this years.
    kim in ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to everyone for joining in. This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your challenge is perfect for me! Last December I made up my own personal "Catch-Up 11 in '11" challenge to finish 11 series in 2011; this time I'm challenging myself to finish "12 in '12".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last year I joined a challenge to start more series...now I have all these half-read series on my list! This challenge looks perfect for getting to the end of some of those stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops! My first sign-up had the wrong URL--can that be taken down? Sorry about that! Silly mix-up with CTRL-C and CTRL-V...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is right up my alley. I have a few series that I want to finish. But, I think I will just do level 2, Complete 2 series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in! So excited to try and reach my goal of finishing the 2 series I have started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Howdy! Thought this was a great idea and wanted to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! I will finish some series by Bernard Cornwell

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the idea of this challenge, so I signed up - I'm aiming for Level 3, because I'm really late on reading a lot of the great series that have been coming out and others that I should've been reading for some time too, because everyone says they are great! - The Hunger Games, The Books of Pellinor, Starjacker, Hush, Hush and some others.

    Thanks for hosting!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for hosting this challenge. You have no idea how badly I need to finish the series that I have started, and I keeping starting more and more series, instead of finishing before moving on. It's gotten really bad and I've made a resolution to stop that in 2012, so it was perfect that you came up with this challenge. I am definitely doing a level three which will be a piece of cake of me, since I have read so many series, many of which are completed by the author. I'm sure I will be completing a lot more than three, but I'll just commit to three for now, and keep you updated as I complete more.

    My top three series to finish in 2012 are:

    Gemma Doyle Series with one book to finish: The Sweet Far Thing

    Percy Jackson and the Immortals Series with three books to finish: The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, and The Last Olympian

    and last but certainly not least, as you will soon see...

    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events with books 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 to read.

    Whew! You can see why I need this challenge! Hope everyone enjoys some good reads in 2012.

    P.S. I don't have a blog, so I'll be posting all updates and linking to reviews on goodreads here. Thanks and toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great challenge for me so thank you for hosting it! I am looking forward to finishing up some great series that I have loved.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was so hard to stick to two series I want to finish this year. I may aim for more, but I was trying to be realistic. We'll see. . . Thank you for hosting this challenge, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting this challenge. I have a few series that I really want to finish, so I am going with Level 3 - hopefully I will be able to finish these and maybe some others!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I needed this challenge; hopefully, it'll motivate me to finish a couple series at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keep your fingers crossed Janet doesn't pound out another Plum book before you finish! I just signed up - great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do I link on here with the book reviews as I head toward my goals? Or do I just comment when I finish some as well as update my initial post about this challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  27. My blog Finishing the Series has a link for January reviews and I'll be posting a link each month. Go to http://finishingtheseries.blogspot.com/2012/01/january-2012-reviews.html

    I'm keeping everything about the challenge over there now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi!
    I've started a new series and had to have a reading challenge, so have joined you. I will be going for level 1. My series of books...The Cat Who series. I've posted about this a my place. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-cat-who-could-read-backwards.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I did it! 2 series finished! I am going to try for another! Thank you for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I posted my "Reading Challenges Wrap-up" post today.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I bit off a bit more than I could chew with this challenge but I posted my wrap up today. I plan on joining in again for 2013!

    http://mypaperlife.com/2012/12/30/update-finishing-the-series-reading-challenge-2012/

    (this is my new blog, I signed up originally under http://kreativekristie.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I underestimated myself on this challenge...completed 9 (well, 10 if one includes one where the author hasn't finished the series yet! LOL). I've still at least three series in the works, too. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  33. here is my warp-up: http://wordsandpeace.com/2011/12/23/finishing-the-series-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.