Monday, December 26, 2011

2012 Where are you reading challenge?


I've been eying this challenge for awhile and I finally decided to take the plunge and join in.

Here are the details...

So what is the point of this challenge? It is to try to read in each of the 50 States between January 1 2012 – December 31, 2012.
So how do you decide what state a book is categorized under?

1. In a fiction read it would be the State or Country that the book spends the most time in. (Ie. If your main character is from Wisconsin but the book is all about his/her time in college in California – the books should categorize under California….)

2. Non fiction reads categorize in whatever State or Country it is about (Ie…. a book about fly fishing in Colorado is a Colorado point, and a book about women in Afghanistan is an Afghanistan point.

3. If the book goes from one state to another… go with the state that most of the time is spent.

How to get started

Set up a map under Google Maps. It is easy to do! Every time you read a book in 2012, upload a cover picture to Picasa Web Albums (there may be other sites to use, feel free to use what works best for you).

Questions?

Do you have to have a blog to participate? No. You can do everything on the map above without linking the book to a review.

Do I have to have my post up by January 1st, 2012? No, but I would think you would want to get started right away at the beginning of the year. However, you will be able to sign up throughout January as well.

How will people see my map? There are a couple of possibilities. On your original challenge post you should have a link to your map. You could also put it on your side bar to draw interest to it (see mine on my left side bar) I will be linking my map to every review I will also set up a monthly link here to post updates if you wish.

I dont get it – I cant figure out how to use Google maps but I really want to participate! No worries! You are welcome to create a challenge post that lists the 50 states (as well as bonus out of USA spots) and then fill them in as you read in the areas.

Do audio books count? ABSOLUTELY!

My map will be here.

(Of course if I did this wrong, the map won't be right but we'll see.)

If you'd like to join in, go to Book Journey who is hosting this challenge.

Books I read...

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona - Desert Intrigue by Linda Weaver Clarke
Arkansas - Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris
California - A Fistful of Collars by Spencer Quinn
Colorado - Woodrose Mountain by RaeAnne Thayne
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida - Murder Buys a T-shirt by Christy Fifield
Georgia - Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams
Hawaii
Idaho - Melinda and the Wild West by Linda Weaver Clarke
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine - Chocolate Covered Murder by Leslie Meier
Maryland
Massachusetts - Dogs Don't Lie by Clea Simon
Michigan
Minnesota - A Grand Murder by Stacy Verdick Case
Mississippi
Missouri - Little Shop of Homicide by Denise Swanson
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York - Corpse in the Crystal Ball by Kari Lee Townsend
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island - Dead Locked by Amy Saunders
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas - Hot Chocolate by Dawn Greenfield Ireland
Utah
Vermont
Virginia - Citizen Insane by Karen Cantwell
Washington - Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

4 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! I'm thinking about this even though I don't do challenges. Plotting the locations on a map is an appealing concept! Good for you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,i just wanted to reconfirm whether the maps r necessary or not? as i dont know how to use a map.pls help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to confirm whether maps r necessary as i dont know how to add them,pls help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to Book Journey's blog at http://bookjourney.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/sign-up-time-2012-where-are-you-reading-challenge/

      The details for the challenge are there. She's the one hosting it and can answer questions about it.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.