Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review: Finding Colin Firth by Mia March


Genre:
Fiction

Format:
E-ARC

Publisher:
Gallery Books

Release Date:
July 2013





It’s summertime in the small town of Boothbay Harbor, Maine. The coastal Maine town is preparing for a huge event – the arrival of British actor Colin Firth, who is making a movie in Boothbay Harbor. The movie crew has already started filming but no one has actually seen the actor, yet, but everyone is more than hopeful. When a casting call is sent out for extras, the townspeople all line up for their chance to meet their favorite actor as well as be part of his latest movie.

The book focuses on the lives of three women…

After losing her beloved job, journalist Gemma Hendricks decides to take a break from her everyday life and visit Boothbay Harbor for the weekend. Of course this means taking a break from her husband who is pressuring her to forget her career, leave their New York City lifestyle and move to the suburbs near his family. He wants to begin a family of their own and wants Gemma to be a stay-at-home mom. She adamantly refuses. Gemma doesn’t have a maternal bone in her body and fully intends to get a new job. In fact, she’s convinced an interview with Colin Firth will put her on the right track to achieving her goal. However, she doesn’t want to lose her husband and their marriage.

Twenty-two year old Bea Crane is shocked when she receives a letter from her late mother, a year after her death. The letter gives her news that her mother couldn’t bear to tell her when she was alive – Bea had been adopted. Her father, who passed away when she was younger, and her mother decided to keep the information from her. They loved her as if she were their own and gave her a beautiful life, but Bea is curious about her birth parents and her heritage. Her search for her mother leads her to Boothbay Harbor.

After a long absence, 38 year old waitress Veronica Russo returns to her hometown of Boothbay Harbor. She becomes very popular in town with her “elixir” pies, guaranteed to emotionally heal those who bake or eat them. She manages to land a job as an extra on Colin Firth’s movie and is quite excited to meet the actor, until she is faced with the secrets of her past.

This book is written by the same author who wrote The Meryl Streep Movie Club. I haven’t read that one yet, but this is set in the same place. It’s not a continuing series, so it really didn’t matter if I read the first one or not, but I plan to. It’s already on my Kindle.

I loved this book very much. I like Colin Firth, although not a huge fan, but I got a kick out of the Colin Firth “sightings” and the Colin Firth movie nights at the local inn. Now, I’m in the mood to watch one of his movies.

I felt as if I was in Maine with good friends, listening to their problems. Each chapter focuses on each of the three women. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and the incredible emotions she puts into each character. Readers really feel what each one is going through as they face their problems. The book touches on realistic issues such as teenage pregnancy, adoption and career vs. marriage. The author handles each one very well. She grabs onto your heart and doesn’t let go, even after you read the last page. I’m a new fan of Mia March and can’t wait to read the Meryl Streep book and see what future books this author writes.



FTC Disclosure: NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

For reading challenges:
2013 What’s in A Name Reading Challenge


4 comments:

  1. I loved this one and The Meryl Streep Movie Club. It was great to revisit old friends in the Colin Firth book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, I'm glad you (and Laurel-Rain) enjoyed this one. It is new to me. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my get to it soon in 2014 list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.