Saturday, March 19, 2011

Anything Goes on Saturday - Choosing Review Books



This is a new meme called "Anything Goes on Saturday". It's a chance to choose any topic you want and talk about it on Saturday - it can be about a book, TV show, movie, a recipe or just an update on your week. Whatever you choose.

I decided not to use Mr. Linky for this meme. If you'd like to join in, just comment and post your direct link to your post. Then, go and visit other blogs and see what's on everyone's minds this week. Enjoy!

My topic this week - selecting which books to review. I think most of us get many requests to review books, so I'm wondering how you all decide which to accept. I keep saying I'm not going to accept anymore for awhile - at least until I catch up. However, all the requests sound so good that I can't pass them up.

Basically, my rule of thumb is to accept only those books that fit into the genres that I enjoy reading. I rarely accept a book outside my genre for a review. I will read outside my genre for my own enjoyment, but not for a review. I feel as if the book starts out with a strike against it because it's not a genre I like in the first place. I want to be fair to the author/publisher.

Lately I've been really lucky and have enjoyed all the books sent to me for a review.

So, how do you choose what you will be reviewing?

funny pictures - By nachur, kats are solitairey animuls.
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Happy Kitten lolz!

8 comments:

  1. If it sounds good :) I do not need more. But yes no thrillers, action and such for me. Not my genres..ok sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont feel I can personally give an objective review to a book too far out of my preferred genres and new to me. That would be my reason for declining a book

    enjoy ur weekend
    carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Crime Fiction, poetry and literary fiction to read and review. Fantasy is a BIG no no...

    Click on my name to reach my post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much follow your rule Yvonne, and add that I no longer accept self-published books for review, just ones from major publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going along with the crowd on this one - I accept books that I am pretty sure I will enjoy in genres that I prefer. Like you, I step out of my comfort zone for my own enjoyment but not for review. I'm on a mission this year to read more of my own books (my shelves are out of control!) so I haven't been accepting too many for review anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only review books that are from my bookshelf and those we read at our book club.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here! Also, I try to limit my review committments to 2-3 a month. Any more than that and it gets too crazy and I feel that I miss out on my read for pleasure books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good question! If I seek reviews out, then I choose within my comfort-zone. If an author contacts me, then I check out their book on Goodreads. If it sounds like something I would like, I agree to review it....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.