Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vestal Virgin by Suzanne Tyrpak




Genre: Suspense, Historical Fiction
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Smashwords
Release Date: January 2011-03-05

Elissa Rubria Honoria is a Vestal Virgin. When she was very young she was taken from her family, with her parents’ consent, and became one of the most powerful women in Rome. With this position, came sacrifices. One of which is that she lives a sequestered life and is sworn to a vow of chastity with a penalty of death. Nero, the Emperor, considers himself above the law and is determined to have his way with Elissa.

Elissa finds herself in the middle of a dangerous game with Nero which could not only put her own life at risk, but her entire family as well. She begins to stumble on secrets which could endanger everyone, including Rome.

Suzanne Tyrpak transports readers to Ancient Rome when life was much different than it is today. This is a genre I’m unfamiliar with, but since it is a romantic suspense, I decided to try it anway. History isn’t my usual reading choice. However, this book captivated me from the beginning. It drew me right in. I was completely engrossed in this tale of betrayal, angst, murder and romance.

The characters literally come to life with each page. The author has given us a diverse cast with each one being well rounded and written to perfection. The story is rich with history and will hold the reader’s attention to the end. Historical fiction could become a new genre for me to read.

Note: There are sexual scenes throughout this book, but they are written tastefully and fit in with the story.

I have to give this one 5 kitties and a Socrates Great Book Alert Award. The characters stayed with me long after I finished reading, so that’s what makes this a great one for me.






For reading challenges:

Ebook Reading Challenge
ARC Reading Challenge
A to Z Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Great review! The cover and title normally wouldn't grab me, but with such a great review I am going to have to add it to my ever-growing TBR list.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.